This Tuesday John and I trained at Octavio’s house. We learned:
- Energy drills
The footwork session revealed a more advanced leg exercise. You slide your feet from a squat stance together then back to a squat. It really works the quads and helps train the sliding motion rather than a bouncing motion; It is quicker.
The energy drill session gave me more detail in how the pak sau works.
- Using the right hand as the reference point.
- Left handed Pak sau to your partner’s reference hand. Be sure to push into your opponent to break their structure and off-balance.
- Straight punch.
- Close the gap with footwork.
The second variation includes your partner to use the pak sau. Picking up from the first drill:
- Your partner uses a left pak sau to your straight punch
- Position your left hand under your right arm, so that you can trap your partner’s pak sau arm. Push your partner’s arm into their body or pull them into you
to break their structure and off-balance.
- Whip your right arm for a back fist
- Position your right elbow to your partner’s trapped elbow arm by twisting.
- Twist the other direction and deliver your back fist.